As we begin a new school year please be aware that we have a NEW bell schedule: CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO NEW SCHEDULE
|Walter Reed Middle School|
It is the vision of Walter Reed Middle School to improve the lives of students by setting them on an educational path which leads to success through high school, college and beyond. We seek to engage and inspire students with coursework which uplifts and challenges, imparting critical thinking and problem solving skills which exceed the standards adopted by the state. As the primary advocates for students, parents play a central role in this vision; By staying informed in their students' education through reading announcements, attending meetings, and informing the school when appropriate learning objectives are not met, parents form a partnership with the school which leads to student success.
The SLC’s are looking forward to meeting incoming students and sharing some insights and answering your questions. Please join them on August 2nd for some good conversation, fun activities and yummy food. Please remember that the day is divided by SLC’s and it’s a potluck (see flyer for details).
For summer reading, here is the 2014-15_Battle_of_the_Books_List.pdf.
The first day of school is Tuesday August 12 @8:00 am. Dismissal on Tuesdays is always @1:32. Normal days are dismissed at @3:00.
Homerooms will be listed at the entrances of the school by student last name. Students are to report to their homeroom to receive their schedules.
Please explore this website for more information about our school. Uniform Information.
Also, helpful tips may found at: http://FriendsofReed.com/new-parents, where you will be able to subscribe to the school email newsletter, as well find links to your SLC’s websites.
The Summer of Learning program is a collaboration between the city and the Los Angeles Unified School District, offering free classes to Angelenos ages 3 to 24, focused on science, technology, engineering, arts and math, as well as job-readiness training. There are also Beyond the Bell sports activities. The project is being funded by a $500,000 donation from J.P. Morgan Chase and $200,000 from the nonprofit California Endowment.
As of today, Registration for exciting enrichment activities is now open! The activities take place all over Los Angeles, but not at our school.
Interested in robotics?
Stop by Tuesday after-school, in the Cafeteria, to meet the most successful student-run robotics team in Los Angeles!
North Hollywood High School’s robotics team is excited to introduce themselves along with their robot! If you are interested in learning about their team and the basics of robotics or you simply want to meet and interact with their robot, make sure to stop by the school cafeteria after-school on Tuesday May 27th!
TEEN SUMMER READING
FOR STUDIO CITY BRANCH LIBRARY OF THE LOS ANGELES PUBLIC LIBRARY
FREE PROGRAMS WILL BE ON THURSDAYS OF JUNE AND JULY AT 3 P.M. UNTIL 4 P.M.
THE THEME IS “PAUSE TO READ” SOME PROGRAMS WILL ALLOW YOU TO REMEMBER THE ENJOYMENT FOUND IN CRAFTS OR HEARING ABOUT ISSUES THAT ALLOW YOU TO RE-EXAMINE YOUR IDEAS ABOUT MANY SUBJECTS—SUCH AS THE PEACE CORPS,OR HOW TO MAKE A GOOD TRANSITION TO COLLEGE, AND THE CHALLENGES OF THE FIRST YEAR OF COLLEGE.
YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE GAME BOARD PART OF SUMMER READING BY GOING ON LINE TO LOS ANGELES PUBLIC LIBRARY
“TEENS” SUMMER READING
PARTICIPATING CAN INSURE A MORE ENJOYABLE SUMMER FOR YOURSELF. THIS IS A GOOD TIME TO READ PURELY FOR YOUR OWN ENJOYMENT. LANGUAGE ARTS TEACHERS MIGHT EVEN GIVE YOU A FEW EXTRA CREDITS FOR COMPLETING THE PROGRAM.
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER AND VISIT THE LOCAL LIBRARY TO PARTICIPATE IN PROGRAMS/ EVENTS AND READING EXPERIENCES.
Eighth Grade Parents are needed to make these events happen for your child. Please Contact Carol.
Saturday May 10th – 8th Grade Formal Dance. 6-9pm. Advance Tix thru Fri 5/9 – $5 in Pavilion or Rm 106, $10 at the Door
- Walter Reed’s new Student Council will officially hold this as their first activity. Please Support them by donating product or volunteer your time at the event. ALL 8th graders are eligible to attend. DJ music, Food (including Panda Express) and more.
- Parents needed: Host food, Photo area, supervision. Contact Maribel.
- Parent donations welcome for Desserts and needed product: Eleanor Lee.
Wednesday May 28th – 8th Grade Awards Night
- Nominated participants and families will be notified by Invitation.
Tuesday, June 3rd - 8th Grade FUN DAY. 11:30am-2:50pm. 8th Grade parents are needed to make this happen. Contact Carol.
- After Culmination practice on Tues June 3rd.
- Only eligible 8th graders on track for culmination will be invited.
Wednesday, June 4, 2014 – REED 8th Grade Culmination Ceremony at 8am
- 8th Graders will be given 4 tickets.
- Seating is limited. Although extra tickets are rarely provided, our Assistant Principal, Dr. Jelin, will take requests for additional tickets.
- Details to follow
Friday, June 6th - GRAD NIGHT at Magic Mountain
- Tickets are now on sale after school in Parent Center until sold out.
- Ticket price: $55 per student includes bus transportation.
- Check in to load buses at 4:30pm in front of school. Depart 5-5:15pm. Return 1am.
- This is a private event for 8th grade LAUSD students and staff
- Our party in the park will be much less crowded than normal; lines for rides will be much smaller.
- LAUSD would normally not permit a trip to an amusement park as an authorized fieldtrip, but this private event will be much less crowded with a wonderful community feeling.
- The Parent Consent Trip slip is the only fieldtrip permission form you will need for this private event. We do have rosters.
- We have staff volunteer chaperones, but they are not acting as LAUSD employees.
- Our school-wide fieldtrip insurance is in place.
- Bus companies are LAUSD approved.
TICKET SALES: April 24th – until sold out, after school from 3:00-3:30pm in Parent Center.
To Buy your Grad Night Ticket:
1.Completed Parent Consent Form (Private Invitation to Eligible Students)
2. Tickets are $55. – Includes bus and park admission.
3. Exact CASH or CHECKS – Payable to: Friends Of Reed.
4. Students who wish to sit together must purchase tickets together.
JUNE 6: Students should assemble in front of the school by 4:30pm for bus assignments. Check in 4:30pm. Buses DEPART Reed 5pm. Buses RETURN at 1:00am.
For All eligible 8th Graders will only be Friday, June 6th, 2014 DO NOT RETURN FORMS TO THE OFFICE OR TEACHERS
Eligible Students MUST MEET CULMINATION REQUIREMENTS in order to attend. No “F”s and No more than 2 “U”s per category for the year at 10 week Spring Semesters’ reporting period.
Stop by the Counseling Office if you have any questions of eligibility. INFO: Parent Center 818-487-7600